Undergraduate Minor Description & Requirements



A gerontology minor is a practical addition to many undergraduate majors. With the burgeoning older population that our society is experiencing now and well into the future, there will be a need for people in many sectors who understand the aging process from a broad multidisciplinary perspective. Although just about any degree program can work with the gerontology minor, some of the majors that have recently been combined with it include:

  • Liberal Arts
  • Sociology
  • Medicine
  • Psychology
  • Communication Studies
  • Chemistry
  • Nursing

Top of Page 


The curriculum requires you to take 18 credits--3 credits from each of the 3 core areas, 6 credits of electives, and a 3-credit practicum. These are described below in more detail.


Core courses

  • Sociology (choose one)
    • Soc.Sci.411P--Aging in American Society: Past and Present
    • Soc. 410R--Aging in Contemporary Society
  • Psychology (choose one)
    • Psych. 441--Adult Development and Aging
    • Psych. 440--Psychology of Aging
  • Health/Biology (choose one)
    • Nat. Sci. 430PC--Biological and Ethical Issues in Aging
    • Nursing 430--Experience of Health in Aging


Elective Courses (3 credit)

  • Soc. 316-Sociology of Death and Dying
  • Soc. 318--Sociology of the Aging Woman
  • Soc. 416/417--Aging and Developmental Disabilities (with optional practicum)
  • Pol. Sci. 343--Politics of Social Security
  • Phil. 401PC--Biological and Ethical Issues in Aging



           A&S 492--Field Practicum in Aging

Top of Page 


Dr. Linda Breytspraak is the advisor for the Gerontology minor. Students should contact her to declare gerontology as a minor and for advice about which classes to enroll in each term. She will help students arrange a practicum experience, but this process must begin approximately 10-12 weeks ahead of the term in which the practicum will begin.

Top of Page 

Declaration of Minor

Students wishing to declare gerontology as a minor should complete the Declaration of Major form (bottom portion), and submit it to Dr. Breytspraak for signature. In addition, students should complete the Gerontology Enrollment Form and submit it to Dr. Breytspraak.

Top of Page 

Go to Undergraduate Practicum Requirements


Enroll: follow this link and click on "Applying to the College of Arts and Sciences" and then on "Graduate Certificate in Gerontology"


Tuition and Fees Rates

Quiz on Aging


Contact Info

Center Director:
Joan McDowd
#314 Cherry Hall
Phone: (816) 235-2490
email: Mcdowdj@umkc.edu

Linda Breytspraak
106-I Manheim Hall
Phone:  (816) 235-1744
email: Breytspraakl@umkc.edu