Historians are storytellers who reconstruct and reinterpret the events and experiences of the past for the present.
In keeping with the best practices of our discipline, the UMKC History Department serves our students, communities, cultures & society at large as:
- cutting-edge researchers of the past,
- teacher-mentors of future historians & citizens
- critics providing historical context for public understanding
As an essential foundation for our democratic society, we strive to promote:
- critical engagement with our shared pasts
- inclusive & integrative interpretations of history
Our innovative approaches to historical engagement include:
- traditional and interdisciplinary scholarship
- academic, digital & public history
- oral history & collaborative authorship
- brick-and-mortar & online courses
- internship opportunities
The Faculty of the UMKC History Department conduct research and teach in a wide range of fields.
Our focus on critical thinking, writing, research, collaboration, and communication prepares students for: