Graduate financial assistance

Graduate financial assistance

Various loans, scholarships and other forms of financial aid may be available to graduate students. Contact the Financial Aid and Scholarship Office at (816) 235-1154 or toll free (800) 775-UMKC to learn what financial aid programs might be available to you. This office can also conduct a national scholarship search for you free of charge. Such a search will identify scholarship sources outside the university.


A partial list of assistance programs available to Master's level graduate students is as follows:

  • Federally Supported Sources of Financial Aid
  • Chancellor's Non-Resident Award
  • Hispanic Chamber of Commerce Scholarship
  • Minority Master's Student Fellowship
  • UMKC Women's Council Graduate Assistance Fellowship
  • Graduate student Travel Support

Teaching and Research assistantships

Depending upon faculty grants and other funding sources, teaching and research assistantships may be available through the department. Assistantships normally require 20 hours of work per week, and students are required to carry a minimum of 6 hours of course work each semester. Assistantships are awarded for one year, but students may reapply for a second year appointment. Those interested in applying for an assistantship should complete an application for "Graduate Research Assistant" and/or "Graduate Teaching Assistant".