Our facilities enable our students to light, shoot and edit professionally. Access to professional-quality equipment helps our students to tell compelling stories that make an impact on audiences.
The Communication Studies Department has media classrooms and production spaces for student projects, including:
- Video production studio with multi-camera and green-screen capabilities
- Sound recording facility with narration booth and radio console
- Post-production media labs outfitted with latest software, including Final Cut Pro, Avid, Pro Tools, Photoshop, After Effects, Flash, etc. These software packages provide the tools to not only edit video and sound, but to produce animation, motion graphics and rich media content for the web.
Film and Media Arts Equipment Lab
Our equipment check-out lab maintains an extensive inventory of production equipment for student projects:
- HD video cameras—current professional models from Sony, Canon, Panasonic, etc.
- Location lighting equipment, including tungsten, fluorescent and HMI instruments
- Professional sound gear packages, including a wide variety of microphones, booms, mixers and digital recorders
- Traditional Super 8 and 16mm film cameras
Studio 303B K-Roo Radio
- Room 303B is located on the third floor of the student union, and serves as the production facility for K-Roo UMKC Student Radio. The facility is a fully functioning online radio production studio equipped with broadcast software, broadcast mixers, microphone mixers, microphones, audio editing software, and Macintosh computers. The studio is open to all students involved in K-Roo, providing them a space to learn and practice radio broadcast skills.