Curriculum and Catalog Deadlines:
All changes (with exception of new programs) currently submitted will be effective for the 2022-23 Catalog.
- October 1, 2021 – Recommended deadline for proposal to receive chairs’/directors’ approval in CourseLeaf
- December 1, 2021 – Deadline for proposal to receive Dean’s approval
Ideas for new programs should:
- be emailed to the appropriate Associate Dean for review, then
- submitted to be reviewed by the university’s Academic Innovation Committee through a Program Concept Form
Once the concept has been approved, please work with the CAS Curriculum Committee Coordinator to prepare the CourseLeaf proposal for catalog review.
CAS Curriculum Committee Spring 2021 Meetings:
Wednesday, March 10, 2021 – 2-3:30 pm
Wednesday, April 14, 2021 – 2-3:30 pm
CAS Curriculum Committees will take place via Zoom.
*New program proposals and some course proposals have workflow reviews that occur before entering the CAS Curriculum Committee’s queue. The committee will attempt to review proposals according to the submission deadlines listed, but delays or rollbacks prior to a proposal coming to the committee may cause delays to when the committee can review.
- Writing Intensive courses – Sent to Reading and Writing Board
- Service Learning courses – Sent to Provost Office
- Undergraduate Research courses – Sent to Director of Undergraduate Research
All course proposals, including modifications, must include Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs).
University-Wide Information & Resources: Links to CourseLeaf systems and associated quick reference guides.
Syllabus Template (effective FS20)
Some common areas that cause proposals to be rolled back at some point of the workflow:
- Lack of updated Curriculum Map and/or Assessment Plan (current maps and plans can be found in the program’s Assessment folder in UMKC Box)
- Lack of update to Course Rotation
- Mismatched information between CourseLeaf and Syllabus (Course Number, Title, Catalog Description, Class Format, etc.)
- Missing grading information (percentages/points for each assignment, overall grading scale, etc.) or other key syllabus elements
If your department is on the agenda, your chair/director and administrative support will be contacted regarding meeting attendance. The committee reviews proposals in advance and comments/questions are shared with the department in an effort to streamline the process. Based on the feedback, we will request a representative familiar with the proposal to attend the meeting or determine that representation could be optional.
Course modifications do not require a representative at the meeting, but an explanation of what changes are being made and why can provide important rationale for the Committee. This justification can be entered into CourseLeaf or submitted as a short statement via email to the Curriculum Committee Chair and/or Coordinator.
- Fall 2020: September, October, November (draft)
- Spring 2020: February, April
- Fall 2019: September, October, November
- Spring 2019: February, April
- Fall 2018: September, October, November
- Spring 2018: February, March
- Fall 2017: September, October, November
- Please request any archived minutes from the Committee Coordinator.
Please see Faculty Shared Governance and Proceedings.