All changes (with exception of new programs) currently submitted will be effective for the 2020-21 Catalog.
- The deadline for submission to CAS Curriculum Committee is October 1, 2019.
- The deadline for approval at the Dean’s level is December 1, 2019.
CAS Curriculum Committee Spring 2019 Meetings:
All CAS Curriculum Committee meetings will take place in the Dean’s Conference Room in Scofield 307.
*Program proposals and some course proposals have workflow reviews that occur before it enters the CAS Curriculum Committee’s queue. The committee will attempt to review proposals according to the submission deadlines listed, but delays or rollbacks prior to a proposal coming to the committee may cause delays to when the committee can review.
All new course proposals and course modifications must include Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs). For assistance with developing and writing SLOs, please contact the Director of Assessment, Ruth Cain.
- Writing Intensive courses – Sent to Reading and Writing Board
- Service Learning courses – Sent to Provost Office
- Undergraduate Research courses – Sent to Director of Undergraduate Research
University-Wide Information & Resources: Links to CourseLeaf systems and associated quick reference guides.
Syllabus Components (with CAS CPR link)
Some common areas that cause proposals to be rolled back at some point of the workflow:
- Lack of updated Curriculum Map and/or Assessment Plan (current maps and plans can be found in the program’s Assessment folder in UMKC Box) – please contact Director of Assessment, Ruth Cain
- CourseLeaf and Syllabus should match (Course Number, Title, Catalog Description, Class Format, etc.)
- Grading information (percentages/points for each assignment, overall grading scale, etc.)
If your department is on the agenda, your chair/director and administrative support will be contacted regarding meeting attendance. In order to field possible questions during discussion, new course proposals, new program proposals and program modifications require a representative from the originating department familiar with the proposal to attend the meeting when their proposal is on the agenda.
Course modifications do not require a representative at the meeting, but an explanation of what changes are being made and why can provide important rationale for the Committee. This justification can be entered into CourseLeaf or submitted as a short statement via email to the Curriculum Committee Chair and/or Coordinator.
- Spring 2019: February (draft)
- Fall 2018: September, October, November
- Spring 2018: February, March
- Fall 2017: September, October, November
- Spring 2017: February, March, April
- Fall 2016: September, October and November
- Spring 2016: February, April
- Fall 2015: September, October, November and December
- Spring 2015: January, February and April
- Fall 2014: October, November and December
- Please request any archived minutes from the Committee Coordinator.
Please see Faculty Shared Governance and Proceedings.