Join our vibrant first generation community of students, alumni, staff, and faculty at UMKC!
Apply for the Fall 2019 Peer Mentoring Program before Saturday, August 17!
Applications are currently being accepted for a limited number of spots to have a peer mentor in Fall 2019! Any first generation, incoming freshmen student who has been admitted to UMKC with a major in the College of Arts & Sciences for Fall 2019 can apply to be a part of the First Gen Roo program. About 20 students will be selected to join the students who are participating in the Summer Program.
- Receive a $50 book stipend for the spring 2019 semester after the successful completion of the fall program
- Have access to the resources collected through the First Gen Roo Summer Program workshops and sessions
- Find support and guidance through your UMKC journey by building lasting relationships with your Peer Mentor, fellow First Gen Roo participants, and UMKC’s First Gen Proud network
- Bring all these elements together with your support network to form personalized goals and plans
Applications are due Saturday, August 17 and selections will be sent on Monday, August 19!
What is First Gen Roo?
The First Gen Roo program is launching in Fall 2019 for our incoming, first generation students! Together with the program’s Peer Mentors, and First Gen Proud faculty and staff across campus, students selected for the First Gen Roo program will contribute to cultivating and celebrating UMKC’s supportive, energetic, and inclusive first generation community while receiving direct and regular attention to their goals and needs.
Starting on Monday, August 12 and running through the Fall 2019 semester, up to 45 incoming, first generation students will be selected to be a part of the program.
Summer participants checked in on Monday, August 12 and will take part in a week of programming designed to support first generation students and the questions concerns that the participants noted having.
What is a first generation student?
The definition used at UMKC is that neither parent/guardian completed a degree at a four-year university. We also understand that the answer can be complicated and confusing. Let us know if you aren’t sure about your inclusion.
How can I be a part?
- Incoming first time college students can apply for the Peer Mentoring part of the program through Saturday, August 17!
- Use the contact form below, or email us at email@example.com, to let us know you are interested in knowing more about the first generation community at UMKC.
Let us hear from you!
Have questions about First Gen Roo? Want to share with us your interest in being involved? Or have an idea about how we can make this program amazing? Contact us using this form or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.