Applications are now open for the 2020 cohort of First Gen Roo!
Join our vibrant first generation community of students, alumni, staff, and faculty at UMKC!
The program is designed for incoming, full-time freshmen students with any major. The priority deadline for applications is June 1, 2020. Apply here!
What is First Gen Roo?
The First Gen Roo program launched in Fall 2019 for our incoming, first generation students. Together with the program’s Peer Mentors, and First Gen Proud faculty and staff across campus, students selected for the First Gen Roo program will contribute to cultivating and celebrating UMKC’s supportive, energetic, and inclusive first generation community while receiving direct and regular attention to their goals and needs.
First Gen Roo participants receive:
- an early introduction to campus, resources, community-building, and academic experiences the week before fall classes begin (starting Sunday, August 16).
- a $100 book stipend
- interactive programming specially designed by fellow first gen students and UMKC resource offices (including self-care, navigating technology, college lingo, financial literacy)
- a first generation student as a peer mentor
- assistance in forming personalized plans and goals for their first semester of college (and beyond)
- a contributing place in the First Gen Proud community at UMKC
What is a first generation student?
The definition used at UMKC is that neither parent/guardian completed a degree at a four-year university.
We also understand that the answer can be complicated and confusing. Let us know if you aren’t sure about your inclusion.
I’m a current student/faculty/staff/alumnus. How can I be a part?
Let us hear how you are First Gen Proud and let us know you are interested in knowing more about the first generation community at UMKC.
For current students, also consider joining First Generation Student Union (First Gen Union) through RooGroups.