Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and related geo-spatial techniques are fast-growing and increasingly applied to almost all sectors of our society. Examples include environmental mapping, urban planning, and public resource management. Officially approved by Missouri Department of Higher Education, this transcripted graduate certificate program offers GIS-related multidisciplinary courses through several academic programs of the College of Arts & Sciences, such as Geosciences, Urban Planning and Design, Sociology, Economics, and Criminal Justice and Criminology. The curriculum is designed to prepare students for a variety of careers in the rapidly growing job market.
This graduate certificate program is open to any students with a bachelor’s or a graduate degree and appropriate academic backgrounds, such as degree-seeking graduate students and non-degree seeking community students.
Learn more about the Graduate GIS Certificate Program
Application (Declaration) Process:
- Graduate students who are currently enrolled at UMKC and want to declare a GIS Graduate Certificate may do so at any time prior to completing their graduate degree. The student must complete a Declaration of Major Change form and fill in the “Secondary” section of the form and enter GIS Graduate Certificate in the “Plan field.” Students must get approval from the Geosciences department (see contact below) and return the form to the Registration and Records Office for Processing.
- New students who have not been admitted to UMKC and want to pursue the GIS Graduate Certificate are required to fill out the UMKC Graduate Application.
a. Domestic students who apply to this program will be required to provide official transcripts that indicate they have successfully completed an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution.
b. International students who apply to this program will be required to provide the following:
• Official transcripts that indicate they have successfully completed an undergraduate
degree from an accredited institution
• Proof of language ability via TOEFL
• Minimum grade point average of 3.0
• Qualifying financial support via a bank account
• Copy of I94 paperwork
(Before application, the prospective student needs to contact UMKC International Student Affairs for all related matters at http://www.umkc.edu/isao/)
For admission to the graduate GIS program or our graduate program, contact Dr. Jim Murowchick