WHAT IS PSI CHI?
Psi Chi is the International Honor Society in Psychology, founded in 1929 for the purposes of encouraging, stimulating, and maintaining excellence in scholarship, and advancing the science of psychology. Membership is open to graduate and undergraduate men and women who are making the study of psychology one of their major interests, and who meet the minimum qualifications (outlined below).
WHY JOIN PSI CHI ?
Membership in Psi Chi demonstrates to future employers and graduate schools that were considered to be an “excellent” student in the field of psychology. More important, however, are the opportunities it provides opportunities for networking and further learning with faculty and students dedicated to psychological science. In the past, Psi-Chi has invited faculty and advanced graduate students to give talks on their latest research, sponsored seminars on graduate school admissions, and volunteered together for a variety of campus and community events. It is a great way to get involved on campus.
HOW DO I JOIN PSI CHI?
- Check to make sure you meet the academic requirements:
- Major or Minor in Psychology
- Second-semester sophomore or higher
- 9 credits of psychology courses; at least 6 at UMKC
- Minimum UMKC GPA of 3.50 and minimum psychology GPA of 3.50
- Completed at least one full-time semester at UMKC.
- Go to the Psi Chi International Website and complete the application. Select University of Missouri-Kansas City as your “chapter”.
- Email a copy of your unofficial transcript to the faculty advisor Dr. Marte, with “Psi Chi application” in the subject line.” You can access this by printing your DARS report.
- Once your application is reviewed and approved, you will be notified by email that is has been approved. You will then need to bring $70.00 cash, check or a money order (made out to UMKC Psi Chi) to Cathy Rawlings in Cherry Hall Room 326. This money covers the $55.00 fee for a lifetime membership in Psi Chi International; the remaining $15.00 goes into the UMKC account for programming use.
- After we receive the money, you will be invited to join the Psi-Chi network through Roogroups and you will need to accept the invitation. Within a few weeks, you will be contacted by the international organization welcoming you as a member and inviting you to an induction ceremony.
HOW DO I KNOW WHAT EVENTS ARE HAPPENING?
All events are posted on Roo Groups.
PSI CHI OFFICERS
A complete listing of the officers of both organizations is available on the Roo Groups site for each organization.
PSI CHI FACULTY ADVISOR