The Rev. Dr. Bruce Turner Hall Master of Social Work Scholarship
This scholarship is made possible through the estate of the Reverend Dr. Bruce Turner Hall and the Bruce T. Hall Fund at the Greater Kansas City Community Foundation. The Reverend Dr. Hall held a PhD in Political Science and taught at California State University at Fullerton, the University of Redlands, and at William Jewell College in Liberty, Missouri. He left teaching to pursue social work and in 2003 received a Master of Social Work degree at the University of Missouri – Kansas City after which he practiced family therapy with the Missouri Division of Youth Services. In 2007, Dr. Hall returned to teaching as coordinator of Metropolitan Community College’s Human Services/Social Work program. He volunteered his time to numerous organizations throughout Kansas City and was a fond supporter of theater and the arts. Dr. Hall was Ordained Deacon in the Episcopal Church in 2004 and served in that capacity at Grace and Holy Trinity Cathedral in Kansas City, Missouri.
Potential applicants include individuals who:
- Have pursued a career in social work for a minimum of five years.
- Be returning students pursuing an advanced degree in social work.*
- * Master of Social Work, Doctor of Social Work or PhD in Social Work.
Individuals who are current or accepted students in a Master of Social Work program and meet the prior professional experience criteria eligible. Please submit a brief essay of not more than two double-spaced pages outlining your professional social work goals. The review committee will select scholarship awardees based on the following criteria:
- The applicant’s commitment social work service in the Kansas City area
- How well the applicant’s professional goals align with Dr. Hall’s passion for helping families in Kansas City, service to disadvantaged and oppressed populations, or the social services mission of the Episcopal Diocese.
- A current resume
- The applicant’s demonstrable financial need.
Preference shall be given to applicants who are in good standing with the Episcopal Church. Applicants claiming preference should attach evidence in the form of a letter from a Pastor, Deacon, or other official of the Episcopal Church. Affiliation with the Episcopal Church is not a requirement for this scholarship.
The Bruce T. Hall Fund will award 1 or more applicants based on fund availability and the number of awards made.
Application Deadline: Fourth Monday in March
- Brief Essay outlining Professional social work experience and future goals (PDF document)
- Current Resume with three references(PDF or MS Word document)
- A statement of financial need (PDF or Word document)
- Optional Affiliation in good standing with an Episcopal Church (PDF)
Link to apply Online: https://umkc.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5bgu09w95bbFC9T