Prof. Deborah Smith, quoted in the June 5, 2015 article in the Kansas City Star “As birth rates decrease, baby boomers wait longer to be grandparents”
The College of Arts and Sciences is pleased to announce one staff award and four sets of faculty awards that were presented at the annual CAS Dean’s Fall Reception on September 11.
Faculty Awards are as follows:
Dean’s Outstanding Teaching Award (awarded to a tenure-track or tenured faculty member)
- Laurie Ellinghausen, Ph.D., from the Department of English
Royall Distinguished Professors (honors faculty committed to research excellence, creativity, and interdisciplinarity, as well as pedagogy)
- Barry Anderson, M.F.A., from the Department of Art & Art History
- Mark Brodwin, Ph.D., from the Department of Physics & Astronomy
- Michelle Smirnova, Ph.D. from the Department of Sociology
- Lindsey Arbuthnot Clancey, M.S. from the Department of Criminal Justice & Criminology
Bernardin Research Development Grant (recipients are granted support to prepare a grant proposal in their chosen area of research)
- Majid Bani Yaghoub, Ph.D., from the Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- Alison Graettinger, Ph.D., from the Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences
- Clara Irazabal-Zurita, Ph.D., from the Latinx & Latin American Studies Program
- Ye Wang, Ph.D., from the Department of Communication Studies
Haskell Distinguished Research Award (recipients receive an award to support the completion of a scholarly project or creative work)
- Cristina Albu, Ph.D., from the Department of Art & Art History
- Hadara Bar-Nadav, Ph.D., from the Department of English
- Joseph Hartman, Ph.D., from the Latinx & Latin American Studies Program
- Sungyop Kim, Ph.D., from the Department of Architecture & Urban Planning + Design
- Fengpeng Sun, Ph.D., from the Department of Earth & Environmental Sciences
Staff Award is as follows:
Outstanding Staff Member
(awarded to recognize outstanding contributions made by staff members who are employed by the College of Arts & Sciences with strong characteristics including: respectful, responsible, resourceful, receptive, responsive, and reasonable)
- Hannah Hohenstein-Flack, M.A., from the Department of History
Dr. Miguel Carranza, Latina/o Studies director and professor of sociology awarded the 2015 NACCS Scholar.
Researchers reveal the exploitation of medieval imagery and language by white supremacists
White Nationalists and neo-Nazis have misused medieval imagery and language to support their cause. Faculty from the University of Missouri-Kansas City are working to reveal the true histories and explore the connections between contemporary issues and medieval concepts of race, gender and identity. Continue reading
Shannon Barry, who is double-majoring in Sociology and Criminal Justice and Criminology, wants to help Kansas City youth.
Get to know our students, and you’ll know what UMKC is all about.
Shannon Jackson, Ph.D., associate professor of Anthropology, has received an International Award for Excellence for Volume 13 of The International Journal of Technology, Knowledge, and Society.
Jackson’s article, “Cyber-infrastructure and the Right to the City,” was selected for the award from among the highest-ranked articles emerging from the peer-review process and according to the selection criteria outlined in the peer-review guidelines. Continue reading